Monday, November 8, 2010

(Seahawks Depth Chart)

(Saint's depth chart)

(Final Iteration - combined depth chart)
My experience with this assignment was a very tedious one. I didn't really have any problems figuring out what to fix, but rather how to fix it while making it still look good. I knew right away that my plan was to combine both teams' depth charts into one. However, since NFL.com wouldn't let me save both team's depth charts as an image, I was forced to use a screen shot, and was supplied with limited space. In order to make this image work, I had to use photoshop to move around some text that was already in place to make room for the names of the other team's players. This required the extremely tedious process of moving text, and then patching up the spot where that text used to be. The image is of a little lower quality than what I would normally want, with some areas of "splotchy" colors. However, considering my mediocre photoshop skills, and the limited space I had to work with, I'm happy with the outcome.
I actually got a pretty profound sense of accomplishment after completing this image because I felt like I was really on to something. As I stated in my essay, I was really annoyed with the inconvenince of having to switch back and forth from each team's web page to view their respective depth charts on sunday. By combining the the two opponents' depth charts into one, it reduces the cognitive load, and just makes looking into the game a whole lot more convenient. While I realize that they are not going to, I honestly feel like this is something that could improve the NFL's website.
I'd say my real "ah-hah!" moment was when I realized that I just had to insert text (in a different color) above the already excisting depth chart. This feeling was soon ruined when I realized that I had to cover up all the old spots, but none the less, that was still the moment when I figured out exactly what I wanted to do with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment