Thursday, October 28, 2010

Lawncare decision model

With this assignment, I
tried to think of simple images that would be easily recognizable, despite my poor drawing abilities.
It is that exactly which gave me my biggest problem. Thinking of a symbol for a healthy lawn, since a thumbs up is pretty recognizable. The symbol for the temperature was only a problem for half of it, as the thermometer was pretty easy to think of. Without using numbers, I had a pretty tough time representing 90 degrees, so a 90 degree angle with an arrow was the best I could think of, since I assumed the arrow would indicate something of a higher quantity. I had the toughest time thinking of a symbol for the "dry" step in the process. First i thought to draw a sun, but soon determined that a sun would probably just be seen as another symbol of temperature, and i needed something better. This is when i hard to start thinking creatively, and came up with (what is supposed to be) a water droplet with a symbol to show that it's canceled out. That was the best I could think of, but I was happy with it. "Pests" was by far the easiest to figure out what to draw. I put my incredibly mediocre drawing abilities to work, and put together a bug that is a smiley face short of a kindergarten drawing.
I feel like I accomplished what I was trying to with this assignment, mostly because I thought of the best symbols that I was capable of drawing for each step. I also definitely accomplished what i wanted to with making it look symmetrical. The only think that I don't think i necessarily accomplished was figuring out good symbols for "yes" and "no." I was gonna just use a check mark and an X, but I already used the X for the "do nothing" option at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment